Monday, November 2, 2015

Am I being lazy?

One of my mentors once said, “If you are thinking about doing something, you should be doing it.” The context then was about checking a blood count, looking up drug interactions or getting a second opinion on a chest X-ray. In other words: don’t be lazy.

Making a point not to be lazy improves life in general. Go take that walk. Put the dishes in the dishwasher – and then empty it after the cycle. Write the thank-you note right away. Peel the orange instead of grabbing chips.

After a while, these conscious decisions will become habit. If it’s a habit to pack lunch then you won’t spend time and money scrounging for something to eat. That makes it easier to spend a few minutes exercising (even if it means climbing stairs or circling the parking lot). A less cluttered environment is associated with improved health outcomes. If you don’t want to purge, at least put things away.


At least once a day I’ll ask myself if I am being lazy – if the answer is yes I will go ahead with the task. I don’t bother with a to-do list since at the end of the day I would rather just have things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment