Sunday, July 22, 2012

This Week in the Office


From the office this week:

1.     I barely recognized my patient when he came in asking to have his cholesterol checked. He had lost 55 lb! The secret to his success: he joined AA. He didn’t know what to do in the evenings since he wouldn’t be polishing off a couple of six-packs while watching the game. His sponsor suggested that he go to the gym and watch the game while working out. The result: new friends, a new body and a 35% reduction in his cholesterol.

2.     Another patient really didn’t want to tell me his concern. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, he took out his phone and showed me a picture of his hemorrhoid! Great photo – I didn’t ask him how he accomplished it. I hope that his phone is not confiscated for any reason before he has a chance to edit his photos.

3.     I recalled a middle-aged lady to review her blood tests. Since she was a two-pack a day smoker, I was very concerned about her elevated cholesterol and future risk of heart disease and stroke. She agreed to start some medication, but objected to my suggestion that she repeat the blood test in 6 weeks and then return so that we could evaluate the treatment. She stated that she could not afford the $30 co-pay for the visit.

4.     It’s been hot and patients are getting dehydrated. Don’t rely on thirst. A better guideline is passing light yellow urine every two hours while awake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment