Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Men's Health


I try to have a good assortment of magazines in the waiting room – and we regularly patrol the rack to make sure that they are current. Who wants to read the Christmas issue at the end of February? The magazines cater to all constituencies – young families, fashionistas, gear heads, travelers and design mavens. I also include the all time classic: the New Yorker, as well as an assortment of alumni magazines.

My favorite magazine, the one that I read cover to cover, is Men’s Health. The articles are a terrific combination of nutritional advice, career guidance and general interest. I can’t give an expert opinion on the career counsel, but the medical information is accurate, timely and well written.

Every month I turn right to the “Belly Off! Club” and “Eat This Not That.” The April 2011 issue has a book excerpt from The Men’s Health Diet. The discussion on visceral fat (belly fat) is lucid, precise and contains less jargon than the medical press. The weight loss advice is healthy, makes sense and is based on sound scientific principles.

Some of the magazines that we receive don’t make it to the waiting room, but are immediately recycled. The main reasons for exclusion are advertisements that don’t meet my standards. I must admit that I am not too fond of the ads in Men’s Health, but the editorial content is an effective counterweight. I still prefer magazines over websites, but menshealth.com is worth a look.

I applaud both the editorial and the medical advisory boards of Men’s Health – they put together a great general interest magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment